Company: Beyond Design, Inc.
Position: Manager of Research and Strategy
Experience: 5+ years
Beyond Design, Inc. is an award winning, full-service product development consultancy with a 20+ year history of bringing innovation and product strategy to our clients. Our Chicago office is searching for an exceptionally creative (smart-working, fun-loving) product design researcher to join our cross-disciplinary team. Specifically, we are seeking an experienced Manager of Research and Strategy, with expertise in research and strategy for product development and innovation, while showcasing their ability to better understand human behavior and the methods and techniques to get there.
You will be responsible in helping uncover latent user needs and behaviors, coordinating and moderating research sessions, and analyzing the information to find creative and actionable insights. The ideal candidate is a strong moderator, has a big personality and isn’t afraid to speak in front of others to showcase their innate ability to understand the process of product development. You should also have excellent graphic skills and the knowledge of showing data analyzing skills through convincing infographics. It’s time to make our studio grow and thrive with the help of a product researcher that has the ability to dive deeper into product development and understand the solutions behind the problem.
Only respond to us if this fits YOU:
- You enjoy conducting research, analyzing problems and coming up with solutions to make it better
- You are proficient in Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office Suite, with knowledge of video editing and animation
- You clearly express your findings and provide a clear, concise answer for client understanding
- You love to communicate – both orally and in writing, and you are able to deliver a presentation on research findings
- You have strong verbal and visual presentation skills
- You have the ability to demonstrate analytical thinking and find new trends in the design process
- You have the capability of wearing multiple hats at once
What will be expected from YOU:
- Plan, organize, implement and coordinate research programs to support projects and areas of the product development process
- Determine the most appropriate research and methodology for the project and create new research approaches and ideas
- Conduct qualitative/quantitative research, ethnographies and other product testing to further dive into the product development process
- Educate and guide the client on the importance of research and strategy in the product design field
- Work closely with other designers to build creative but actionable design strategies for each project
- Demonstrate and translate all data from research sources that can directly impact innovation efforts
- Ability to teach and mentor other members of Beyond Design who are less familiar with design research and strategy
- Create frameworks and infographics to deliver a convincing research and strategy story
- 5+ years experience in designing, developing and implementing research and strategy for design
- Bachelor’s degree in Design Research, Design Strategy, Human Factors Design or related program
- Prior product development experience, working with creative teams
- Expertise in problem solving and being a creative thinker
- Proven ability and background to work on multiple projects at once
- Additional product development experience (CAD, Sketching) is a plus
A few extras that might win us over:
- You have a sense of humor
- You go beyond and think strategically, but creatively when coming up with research techniques
- You won’t stop until the work is done, but have fun doing it
- You have a big personality and aren’t afraid to say your opinion
- You have a positive attitude and want to continue to learn and grow
Please submit your resume along with portfolio sample saved as a single PDF document no larger than 5mb. Please include links to websites and other interactive samples. All submission will be kept confidential. Submissions without portfolio samples will not be considered.
- *Only US citizens with permanent residence will be considered for this position.
- Apply via email to: email@example.com
- We are also hiring a Principal Industrial Designer and Senior Industrial Designer, please apply on our website.