Company: Beyond Design, Inc.
Date Posted: 02/07/2022
Position: Junior Industrial Designer – Full-Time in Chicago Office
About Beyond Design, Inc.
Having been in business for nearly three-decades, Beyond Design specializes in product development and supports customers with Research, Industrial Design, UX/GUI and Engineering. Beyond Design works with a diverse range of customers and projects alike. Ranging from small consumer electronics to large-scale industrial equipment, the development team’s focus is to provide innovation and compelling design that establishes a brand identity with differentiation and business strategy.
At Beyond, we work with clients to define the future of their businesses and brands. We explore new ways to solve problems and work in a holistic manner in how people think, work, and live. Collectively our team has the highest standards with the quality of work we deliver, and a strong commitment to our global community. We value learning, diverse lived experiences, original perspectives, personal growth, and mutual support. We’re also entrepreneurial. This is not a place where you’ll always have a template to work from, but you will always have a team to turn to for advice, help, and guidance as you create solutions together.
About the Position:
– Junior Industrial Designer
– Full Time
– Annual Salary Plus Benefits
– Beginning March/April
Beyond is seeking to add a motivated, self – starting Junior designer, who has a keen sense of form development that can be expressed through sketches and CAD surfacing their team. The ideal candidate possesses an innovation-driven entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for creating meaningful designs for people of all ages and demographics. This position will work closely with researchers, industrial designers, engineers, UX/GUI designers, and graphic designers to collaborate on projects.
The Junior Industrial Designer is intended to bring fresh ideas with creativity and enthusiasm to Beyond Design. As a Junior Industrial Designer you will be responsible for conducting secondary research, concept sketches, initial CAD surfacing and creating product renderings. You will contribute to projects on multiple levels and take on new challenges to solve problems that satisfy the Clients objectives while making sure solutions are suitable for manufacturing.
The ideal candidate should demonstrate their passion for all aspects of product development, especially attention to form development and expressing your ideas through sketches and CAD that inspire and communicate your design intent.
– Graduated with a 3.2 GPA or higher from an accredited School/University with an MFA or Industrial Design Degree
– 1+ year of prior internship experience
– Has a passion for designing products and experiences for the complete consumer journey
– Excellent sketching and form development skills, fast visualization
– CAD Modeling in SolidWorks (preferred)
– Experience with 3D prototyping
– Organized with time management ability and ability to meet deadlines
– Outstanding verbal and visual communication skills
– Participate in marketing research (competitive research, technologies, features, market segments, and more)
– Conduct project design research including Human Factors and Ergonomics
– Excellent rapid visualization skills through sketches and renderings for concept exploration
– Experience designing products involving user interaction and ergonomics
– Create design concepts (sketches and 3D CAD) as a result of consumer research or a request from Marketing
– Study ergonomics and product configuration
– Ability to communicate design ideas using hand and digital sketches and other computer-generated visualization tools including: Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Sketch Book (or similar) and PowerPoint
– Rendering experience with Keyshot, Visualize or similar. Ability to build render videos is a bonus
– Understanding of basic engineering principles to aid in building functional geometry with Engineering partners
– Understanding of Manufacturing processes and Fit and Finish quantification
– Develop a product to the point of prototype with 3D CAD modeling software
– Conduct research and synthesize information
– Ensure project goals (time, cost, etc.) are met
– Form development and rapid visual sketching
– Proficiency in 3D CAD development (SolidWorks)
– Exceptional visual and verbal communication skills
– Proficient in KeyShot
– Fully proficient in Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign…)
– Microsoft Office
– Google Sheets, Docs, Drive, etc.
– Visual communication & graphic design skills are a plus
This entry-level, Junior Industrial Designer position, is ideal for an individual who is seeking to work with award winning designers who especially enjoy mentoring young designers. As part of the team you will participate in Client meetings and contribute fresh ideas to projects. You will be responsible for creating designs that are compelling as well as functional and intended for manufacturing. You will learn about materials and manufacturing processes, along with the day to day operation of working in a product development consultancy.
If this sounds like you, please submit a single PDF that is under 5MB that includes:
– Cover letter (150 words or less) explaining why you want to join Beyond Design and how you approach solving complex problems (this can be a story, an object, or anything that demonstrates the way you think and work)
– Portfolio with examples of your work
– Three (3) Professional references
– Date you can start
We expect a large number of inquiries so use your cover letter to impress us and let us know why you should be considered: Send your information to: HR@STARTBEYOND.COM (No website links will be viewed for this position!)
Beyond Design is an equal opportunity employer; All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.